background

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mommy's Big Helper...

I decided to break out the sewing machine this weekend. After blowing the dust and cobwebs off of it (no, not really), I ended up making two dresses. These were my first ones to do without a pattern, so I'm kind of proud of them, even if one was too small. Of course my little helper was on hand to supervise. Sometimes she is even a little too much help, I think. :)
She was trying it on for size before I sewed it up:



She supervised every stitch:


Even under the scrutinizing eye of Princess P, sewing supervisor, extroidenaire, things happen. Things like sewing a wrong side to a right side: (oops)

That's when it becomes neccessary to break out this handy little gadget: the seam-ripper. I think I would rather pull my eyelashes out one by one that rip apart an entire side of a dress, just saying.

Once the dress was finished, Rachel put aside her supervisory duties and became my little model. And what a good little model she was. The first dress was a little snug around the waist. She bowed out her chest and said, "It's a little tight when I do like this." I wish I had taken a picture of us trying to get her out of the dress. That was an experience. Guess I'll have to save this one to sell at the Blueberry Festival next year.

The pink one turned out so cute, I think. I left it a little bigger so she can wear a long sleeve shirt under it this fall/winter. She has some pink minky pants to match.


Between dresses Rachel and I made cake balls. She was more than happy to take care of the left over icing for me. :)

After supper she even asked if she could sweep the floor. She earned her first allowance, a whole nickel. (That's the only change I had on me at the time.) I told her she worked hard for her money. She agreed and then asked for more money. Oh, and I realize she doesn't match, but she dressed herself, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment